Comparison of video assisted thoracoscopic surgery with thoracotomy for treatment of chronic empyema: a systematic review study
Introduction: Empyema is a respiratory disease that has increased seriously in the past two decades. The usual treatments for the stage III patients includes thoracotomy and video assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Hence a systematic review was conducted to compare the effectiveness and safety of the two procedures.
Materials and Methods: In this search systematic review the databases of PubMed, Cochrane Library, Scopus, NIHR HTA, Embace, Magiran and SID were searched from 1990 until the end of June 2018. We used CASP checklist to evaluate the quality. Data analysis was performed in STATA software. The pooled effectiveness results were demonstrated in Forest plat.
Results: Among initially 2228 retrieved records, four studies entered in the final stage of review, among which three were included in the meta-analysis. The findings showed that there was no significant difference between the two methods of thoracoscopic surgery and thoracotomy in the treatment of organizational empyema in terms of duration of surgical operation (MD = 1.33, %95 CI: -0.66 _ 3.31, p = 0.18). Postoperative hospital stay was not statistically different between two surgical methods (MD = 1.68, %95 CI: -0.20 _ 3.56, p = 0.08). In terms of safety, there was no particular risk for patients across the surgeries.
Conclusion: There is no statistically significant difference in the operation of video assisted thoracoscopic surgery with thoracotomy in terms of effectiveness and safety. Nevertheless, the results should be considered cautiously due to the little number of included studies.
2. Azizi F. Prediction of mortality and burden of diseases in Iran and the world. Research in Medicine, The Quarterly Journal of School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences 2009;32(4):259-260
3. Rosenstengel A. Pleural infection-current diagnosis and management. JTD. 2012;4(2):186.
4. Kadkhodaei HR, Vasigh M. Retrospective study of management of chronic organized empyema with thoracoscopy versus thoracotomy. RJMS. 2013;19(105):1-7.
5. Vaziri M, Abed O. Management of thoracic empyema: review of 112 cases. Acta Medica Iranica. 2012;50(3):203-207.
6. Vejdan SAK, Naseh G, Khosravy M, Khamesan A. Thoracoscopy Vs conventional methods in the management of empyema: a prospective study Tehran Univercity Medical Jurnal. TUMS publications. 2010;67(11):772-7.
7. Hamm H, Light R. Parapneumonic effusion and empyema. ERS. 1997;10(5):1150-6.
8. Andrews N, Parker E, Shaw R, Wilson N, Webb W. Management of non-tuberculous empyema. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1962;85:935-6.
9. Tong BC, Hanna J, Toloza EM, et al. Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Decortication. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010;89(1):220-5.
10. St. Peter SD, Tsao K, Harrison C, et al. Thoracoscopic decortication vs tube thoracostomy with fibrinolysis for empyema in children: a prospective, randomized trial. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44(1):106-11.
11. Yu H. Management of Pleural Effusion, Empyema, and Lung Abscess. Semin intervent Radiol. 2011;28(01):075-86.
12. Brims F, Lansley S, Waterer G, Lee Y. Empyema thoracis: new insights into an old disease. ERR. 2010;19(117):220-8.
13. Grijalva CG, Zhu Y, Nuorti JP, Griffin MR. Emergence of parapneumonic empyema in the USA. Thorax. 2011:thx. 2010.156406.
14. Hassanzad M, Khalilzadeh S, Boloursaz M, et al. Surgical and medical treatments of empyema in pediatric patients. J Comper Ped. 2014;5(2).
15. Misthos P, Sepsas E, Konstantinou M, Athanassiadi K, Skottis I, Lioulias A. Early use of intrapleural fibrinolytics in the management of postpneumonic empyema. A prospective study. J cardio-thorac surg. 2005;28(4):599-603.
16. Maskell NA, Davies CW, Nunn AJ, et al. UK Controlled trial of intrapleural streptokinase for pleural infection. NEJM. 2005;352(9):865-74.
17. Christopoulou-Aletra H, Papavramidou N. “Empyemas” of the thoracic cavity in the hippocratic corpus. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008;85(3):1132-4.
18. Lee SF, Lawrence D, Booth H, Morris-Jones S, Macrae B, Zumla A. Thoracic empyema: current opinions in medical and surgical management. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2010;16(3):194-200.
19. Li S-TT, Tancredi DJ. Empyema hospitalizations increased in US children despite pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Pediatrics. 2010;125(1):26-33.
20. Marks DJ, Fisk MD, Koo CY, et al. Thoracic empyema: a 12-year study from a UK tertiary cardiothoracic referral centre. PLOS One. 2012;7(1):e30074.
21. Manasa G, Swetha B, Yashoda H, Pramod S. Paediatric empyema: video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (vats) and its outcome study. IJCP. 2017;4(3):882-5.
22. Kumar A, Sethi GR, Mantan M, Aggarwal SK, Garg A. Empyema thoracis in children: a short term outcome study. Indian pediatrics. 2013;50(9):879-82.
23. Jaffé A, Cohen G. Thoracic empyema. Arch Dis Childh. 2003;88(10):839-41.
24. Shahin Y, Duffy J, Beggs D, Black E, Majewski A. Surgical management of primary empyema of the pleural cavity: outcome of 81 patients. ICVTS. 2010;10(4):565-7.
25. Waller DA, Rengarajan A. Thoracoscopic decortication: a role for video-assisted surgery in chronic postpneumonic pleural empyema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001;71(6):1813-6.
26. Paul S, Sedrakyan A, Chiu Y-l, et al. Outcomes after lobectomy using thoracoscopy vs thoracotomy: a comparative effectiveness analysis utilizing the Nationwide Inpatient Sample database. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012;43(4):813-7.
27. Rengarajan R, Venkatasaravanan S, Anandan H. Comparison of Outcomes between Video-assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery and Thoracotomy in Pediatric Patients for Empyema Thoracis. IJSS. 2017;5(3):264-7.
28. Lardinois D, Gock M, Pezzetta E, et al. Delayed referral and gram-negative organisms increase the conversion thoracotomy rate in patients undergoing video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for empyema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79(6):1851-6.
29. Lawrence DR, Ohri SK, Moxon RE, Townsend ER, Fountain SW. Thoracoscopic debridement of empyema thoracis. Ann Thorac Surg. 1997;64(5):1448-50.
30. Molnar TF. Current surgical treatment of thoracic empyema in adults. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;32(3):422-30.
31. Liu Z, Cao S, Zhu C, Wei L, Zhang H, Li Q. Application of thoracoscopic hybrid surgery in the treatment of stage III tuberculous empyema. ATCS. 2015;21(6):523-8.
32. Chen B, Zhang J, Ye Z, et al. Outcomes of video-assisted thoracic surgical decortication in 274 patients with tuberculous empyema. ATCS. 2015;21(3):223-8.
33. Kang DWW, Campos JRMd, Andrade Filho LdO, et al. Thoracoscopy in the treatment of pleural empyema in pediatric patients. J Bras de Pneumol. 2008;34(4):205-11.
34. Cassina PC, Hauser M, Hillejan L, Greschuchna D, Stamatis G. Video-assisted thoracoscopy in the treatment of pleural empyema: stage-based management and outcome. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999;117(2):234-8.
35. Scherer LA, Battistella FD, Owings JT, Aguilar MM. Video-assisted thoracic surgery in the treatment of posttraumatic empyema. Arch Surg. 1998;133(6):637-42.
36. Nichkaode P, Dasgupta S, Zamad R, Tulaskar N, Chaudhary A, Zamad RC. Open thoracotomy and decortication for chronic empyema (fibrothorax). J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2013;2:2857-63.
37. Andrade-Alegre R, Garisto JD, Zebede S. Open thoracotomy and decortication for chronic empyema. Clin. 2008;63(6):789-93.
38. Alexiou C, Goyal A, Firmin RK, Hickey MSJ. Is open thoracotomy still a good treatment option for the management of empyema in children? Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;76(6):1854-8.
39. Checklists C. Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP). Oxford, UK. Available at http://www. casp-uk. net; 2014.
40. Reichert M, Pösentrup B, Hecker A, et al. Thoracotomy versus video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) in stage III empyema—an analysis of 217 consecutive patients. Surgical endoscopy. 2018;32(6):2664-75.
41. Mehrdad R. Health system in Iran. JMAJ. 2009;52(1):69-73.
42. Finley C, Clifton J, FitzGerald JM, Yee J. Empyema: an increasing concern in Canada. Can Respir J. 2008;15(2):85-9.
43. Reichert M, Hecker M, Witte B, et al. Stage-directed therapy of pleural empyema. Langenbeck's Arch Surg. 2017;402(1):15-26.
44. Bender MT, Ferraris VA, Saha SP. Modern management of thoracic empyema. SMJ. 2015;108(1):58-62.
45. Sonnappa S, Cohen G, Owens CM, et al. Comparison of urokinase and video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for treatment of childhood empyema. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174(2):221-7.
46. Pan H, He J, Shen J, Jiang L, Liang W, He J. A meta-analysis of video-assisted thoracoscopic decortication versus open thoracotomy decortication for patients with empyema. JTD. 2017;9(7):2006.
|Issue||Vol 4, No 3 (2020)|
|Thoracotomy, video assisted thoracoscopic surgery, empyema|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|